List of Theories
- 1 Introduction on theories
- 2 Possible Theories
- 3 Unlikely Theories
- 4 Debunked theories with evidence
- 5 Other extreme theories
Introduction on theories
Because so little is understood about UFSC relative to the massive amount of content, theories as the meaning of the project and the intent of the creator(s) abound. This is made more complex because it is not conclusively proven, for example, whether or not there is hidden information encoded in the videos. The very act of creating and distributing such a large number of videos might be the "point" of the project — or they could each be pieces of a massively complicated puzzle.
UFSC theories, visually represented
Unfavorable Semicircle may be an alternate reality game.
Unfavorable Semicircle exhibits some elements of outsider art — an elaborate "world" whose meaning and internal logic are opaque to external observers. The "art" may be an attempt to relate or explain the author's worldview, or it may solely be created to satisfy the author's creative urges. (See, for example, the works of Henry Darger, Jandek and the maker of the Toynbee tiles.)
Stenography is the act of hiding information in plain sight, more or less "Security through obscurity". What good is knowing how to crack any conceivable code if you don't know the code exists in the first place?
A feasible example of Stenography would be hiding images within other images using "least significant bit" encoding. The LSB of each color is changed slightly, the changes are not perceivable, but are only revealed when an original and almost identical image is XORed with the modified image.
Penetration Testing/Memory Fuzzing/Whitehat Hacking
- The idea is that the video may be carrying a payload or is affecting memory elsewhere when played through memory leaks. This would be a significant exploit and would be a huge deal.
- Idea by /u/FesterCluck
- More specifically, FesterCluck believed the entity behind UFSC is pen-testing for a GPU RAM exploit via YouTube (or video content in general).
- This is a bit of a controversial theory. Many of us are not sure how this would work, or if it is even possible, but as of now hasn't been proven either way.
- Original reddit post and discussion here https://www.reddit.com/r/UnfavorableSemicircle/comments/54pxyw/ive_done_it_and_it_is_truly_amazing/
- Further analysis from discord user festercluck here
Work of a Disturbed Mind
- Unlikely due to the length of the project and seeming lack of purpose.
- Same as above
Clandestine Communications/Numbers Stations Style Communication
- Multiple accounts with "Bread crumbs" leading to other accounts
- Posts seemingly directed at us
Debunked theories with evidence
UFSC is a test by or affiliated with google, much like Webdriver Torso
- The first YouTube channel was banned on (date) due to multiple terms of service violations.
- Unfavorable Semicircle also created a twitter account, so we know that it isn't YouTube specific.
UFSC is a script run amok
- Not likely due to the human behaviors it is exhibiting, and deliberately hidden messages like composites.
- UFSC was able to create new accounts, has new content, and switch platforms. They have also deliberately tried to lead people to their other channels and platforms.
Other extreme theories
UFSC is an alien message from Sagittarius
- All videos of the current channels have got the Sagittarius symbol.
- All further mentions of aliens WILL be removed.